Monday 12 February 2018

Hawfinch!

1w Glaucous Gull
As I had an appointment in NE Kent this morning, I took the opportunity after to make my first ever visit to Ramsgate Harbour to try and see the long staying 1w Iceland Gull and the 2 Snow Buntings. When I arrived I didn't have a clue as to where I was going so I took pot luck and wandered out along what I now know is the East Pier. About halfway along I spotted a white winger sitting on a pontoon a long way off on the other side of the harbour. Being lazy I wasn't carrying my scope so assumed at first it was the Iceland Gull, though it did seem very chunky, as I got a little nearer I realised it was 1w Glaucous Gull. As I reached the end of the pier it took off and flew past me out to sea. I was going to walk round to the West Pier but when I got back to the car it was surrounded by smartly dressed veterans bearing flags, colours and some with Bugles who were about to have a parade if some idiot wasn't blocking there progress with his car, I quickly got in my car and left somewhat embarrassed.
 1w Glaucous Gull
 1w Glaucous Gull

 Hawfinch
 As it was bright sunny day I decided to come home via Godmersham Church to try and finally see some of this winters invasion of Hawfinches. On arrival there was quite a crowd gathered there and a female Hawfinch could just about be seen deep in the thick cover of a Yew tree. Quite quickly most observers drifted away and the birds became a little more cooperative, though mostly in deep shade.







No comments:

Post a Comment