Friday 25 August 2017

Cuckoo!

A few Willow, Reed, Sedge and Cetti's Warblers along the track from the ARC car park to Hanson this morning. Very little of note in front the hide this morning, but late afternoon 4 Garganey, 30 Black-tailed Godwits, a Common Sandpiper, 2 Great White Egrets and all the usual wildfowl.
 Common Redstart in The Desert
This mornings walk around The Desert saw of note a Common Redstart, 4+ Willow Warblers, 5+Common Whitethroats, 7 Wheatears, 5 Stonechats, 15+ Yellow Wagtails, a Sparrowhawk and a Marsh Harrier.
 Stonechat in The Desert
Juvenile Linnet in The Desert
 Wheatear in The Desert
1 of many Hummingbird Hawkmoths seen in The Moat recently
 Swallow from Plodland
While emptying my MV Yellow Wagtails were calling virtually non stop as they dropped into the field opposite to feed. Over the fields the sky was full of 1,000s of Swallow, Sand and House Martins, also a couple of Swifts many Gulls attracting the attention of Peregrines, a Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 2 Common Buzzards and 2 Marsh Harriers while all feasting on what I assume were flying ants, Some of the Swallows and Sand Martins settled on wires in front my house allowing me to get some images from my small balcony. 
 Sand Martin from Plodland
 Juvenile Cuckoo at Scotney
This afternoon at the back of Scotney I spent a lot of time with a juvenile Cuckoo which eventually gave superb views, many Yellow Wagtails there, 6+ Wheatears, a Whinchat, many Hirundines, a Peregrine, 2+Marsh Harriers and a kettle of 10 Common Buzzards. On the lakes a Greenshank, a few Dunlin and the horrible sight of many 100s of feral geese.
  Juvenile Cuckoo at Scotney
  Juvenile Cuckoo at Scotney
1 of many Yellow Wagtails at Scotney today
1 of 2 Turnstones at the fishing boats this afternoon
At the fishing boats this afternoon very little offshore, a Fulmar was the highlight among an handful each of Gannets and Sandwich Terns, 2 Turnstones fed along the shore line. I cut short the sea watch due to the volume of holidaymakers and anglers there. I did see a first for me there someone fly fishing! Needless to say he didn't catch anything while I was there. I think I'll hibernate for the next 3 days.  
At Galloways late afternoon of note just 2 Whinchats, 5 Stonechats, a few Common Whitethroats and Willow Warblers.
Clifden Nonpareil courtesy of the DBO

No comments:

Post a Comment