Saturday 15 October 2016

More Ouzels, an Osprey, a Caspian Gull and a couple of Owls!

 Some of the Ring Ouzels around The Point today
 A tardy start this morning at the Old lighthouse where 2 Ring Ouzels flew out of the garden as I got of the car, a few Goldfinches, Linnets and Swallows flew over as I wandered around the bushes which contained a few Chiffchaffs, a Goldcrest and more Ring Ouzels which popped up onto the fence posts right in front of me. A quick look at the sea saw plenty of Gannets but little else.
This one found it's way into the Heligoland Trap
 Osprey over Lade south 
 After a trip to the garage for new tyre I dropped into Lade just as BB tweeted that the Osprey was fishing over Lade south. Although I have seen it several times it has always been very distant, so it was nice to get good views of it , pity about the awful light. While I was there a Great White Egret flew in, c20 Swallow were seen, a Kingfisher flashed across north lake, a few Chiffchaffs and Cetti's Warblers were in the Sallows, 2 Marsh Harriers, 2 Common Buzzards and a Sparrowhawk were also seen.
Wheatear among the sea containers, not what I was hoping to find.
2 visits to the sea containers failed to find a Siberian vagrant, no doubt I'll try again tomorrow.
 Polish ringed 1w Caspian Gull at the fishing boats
A message from the gull boys Mick and Richard alerted me to a Polish ringed 1w Caspian Gull that was performing well at the fishing boats. Fortunately I was only a few hundred yards away and was there in a couple of minutes, while there an adult Yellow-legged Gull came into the beach.
Late afternoon just as the first spots of rain started I joined Steve G to hopefully see the 3 Short-eared Owls he found in the Desert earlier. 2 of the birds were located just as the rain started in earnest and sought the shelter of my car. 

Yellow-legged Gull at the fishing boats

No comments:

Post a Comment