Sunday 28 February 2016

As OL was braving the strong cold North East wind on The Point this morning I decided to be equally silly and wander around the Scotney complex. The birding was very thin fare, the highlights being 2 Black-necked grebes on the main pit, 11 Dunlin,16 Ringed Plover and 2 Curlew on the sward and the feral Barnacle Goose flock at the double bends. At the back of Scotney I had difficulty seeing with the amount of dust being blasted off  the fields in the wind.
Next I walked around the reserve, I couldn't find the Long-eared Owls at the Dipping Pool, Burrowes was very windswept so it was not till I reached Dengemarsh did I see anything of note, a Great White Egret. I stopped at the view point but quickly moved on due to the wind, reaching the entrance track pools 4 Smew including the drake could be seen. Making my way back to the car park along the entrance track was unpleasant due the dust being blasted off the track by the wind, when ever a car came past it was even worse.
At the New Diggings the 2 Black-necked Grebes and the 2 Slavonian Grebes were still present.
In a short visit to the beach this afternoon I was surprised to learn that the 1w Glaucous Gull had not been seen at all today the first time since the 14th January. Offshore a few Red-throated Divers and Auks were tooing and froing.
 These images were taken early yesterday morning


No comments:

Post a Comment