Wednesday 27 August 2014

Brilliant day around Dungeness.

The day started at the fishing boats where AJG and DW were already scanning the sea, more or less the first birds I saw were a party of 3 Balearic Shearwaters. 06.30-08.30 compiled by AJG below. All down channel unless stated.
 Fulmar: 4 up
Balearic S'water: 3 
Gannet: 138 
Scoter: 171 
Teal 147: 
Arctic Skua: 5 about
Common Tern: 68 
Little Tern: 14
Kittiwake: 4 
Oystercatcher: 4 up
Wheatear: 3 on beach
Yellow Wagtail: 16 over
My next stop was the Hanson Hide at the ARC Pit. As I opened the flap I could see that yesterdays deluge had raised the water level engulfing most of the islands. As I looked out to one of the few remaining islands I saw a juvenile Red-necked Phalarope spinning around by the island. I rattled a few a record shots, then started making phone calls and tweeting out the news. Unfortunately for me the bird never came close while I was there, leaving me with embarrassingly poor images to post. Also seen from Hanson a Marsh harrier trying to take a Coot, Garganey, 2 Avocets and a Black-necked Grebe.
 An embarrassingly poor record of the juvenile Red-necked Phalarope.
 Marsh Harrier, harrying a Coot.
After getting news from BB that there many Whinchats at Galloways I let AJG know. When he arrived at Galloways he found a Wryneck among the Whinchats. He let me know and I quickly made my way there, seeing the bird after a short wait. There were at least 12 Whinchats present, 4 Stonechats, 4+ Wheatears as well as Common Whitethroats, a Marsh Harrier and a Common Buzzard.
 This afternoon following a message from Stephen Message of a Pied flycatcher(getting to be a rare bird at Dungeness) in Dengemarsh Gully, I joined him there. A Redstart darted into an Elder but we were unable to re-find the flycatcher. A bird caught our eyes and in unison we both said Melodious Warbler. Images below.




Also in the Gully several Common Whitethroats a Willow Warbler and a migrant Robin On the shingle 2 Ravens and 3 Wheatears. 

2 comments: