Monday 28 July 2014

Wood Sandpipers

First thing this morning I walked up to the pines hoping to see my first returning Willow Warblers, alas my hopes were in vain. From the Screen Hide 2 Wood sandpipers among the dozens of Lapwings were of note as was a Water Rail and the several 100s of Sand Martins hawking low over the wind less lake. A look in the light house garden was as fruitless as the pines.
I walked down to the The Patch noting a Hummingbird Hawkmoth on the perimeter wall, arriving at The Patch there were 100s of Gulls on the beach in front the hide, so I carefully made my way into the hide, got myself settled and opened the hatch. I had just started to scan the Gulls when a family of birders turned up and promptly flushed all the gulls, I left with hump!
By now the wind was increasing so I visited Hanson where 3 juvenile Marsh Harriers were doing there best flush everything, though I did manage to locate 3 Garganey among the 200+ Coot, 150+Gadwall, c30 Shoveler, 100+ Pochard, 20+ Tufted Duck and 2 Wigeon.
A Common Sandpiper could be seen from Dennis's and another from Makepiece.
On my way to the beach this afternoon there was a Wood Sandpiper, a Common Sandpiper and a Dunlin at the south end of the ARC. Then an hour at the fishing boats with The Joker, saw only a handful of Gannets and Terns and 1 Kittiwake, 4 Oystercatchers and 8 Dunlin flew into the bay.
Driving back a juvenile Cuckoo flew from the north end of the Long Pits towards Kerton Road.
Late afternoon from the Screen Hide the 3 Garganey still present, also 3 Black-tailed Godwits and a Ringed Plover.
Again no bird images so below a images of stuff from the moth trap over the weekend. 
 Sallow Kitten
 Phycita roborella
 Oak Eggar
This beast is I am reliably informed a Dytiscus dimidiatus

No comments:

Post a Comment