Sunday 26 May 2013

Temminck's Stints

This morning I thought I would try The Midrips with the hope of re-finding the Terek Sandpiper.
I was not alone in this thought PT and CT turned up not long after me.
During the walk to the pools 3 Wheatears and a Yellow Wagtail were seen and a couple of Mediterranean Gulls flew by. At the furthest pool there was a good selection of waders present including one which was asleep and facing away from me. Although Redshank, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Greenshank, Grey Plover and Turnstone had all stood by or walked past the sleeping mystery wader I was still at a loss to its identity and imagining all sorts. So I was glad when PT turned up and I pointed the out the bird to him, only for him to be as stumped as myself and the result when CT turned up. Logic said that the it must be something common but what. Although there was a heat haze and it was fairly distant we all had a good scopes so that was no excuse. After what seemed like an age the bird eventually moved to reveal itself as Knot in a strange plumage and that's my excuse!
I had heard that there were a couple of Temminck's Stints at Rye Harbour but decided I did not want to fight my way through Camber and Rye to see some distant dots. Lunchtime I received a call from Tony to tell me that there were 3 Stints and they were showing very well. I took the plunge, less than an hour later I was watching and photographing them at close range. On the walk to the pools 2+ Cuckoo's were making sure everyone saw them, Reed, Sedge and Cetti's Warblers were singing as were Common Whitethroats and a Nightingale sang half heartedly with numerous Mediterranean gulls mewing overhead. Plenty of Avocets and Terns were on show as was a Little Ringed Plover and a Whimbrel.
At Dungeness a Hobby was picked up dead in The Moat, a victim of the poor spring as it was very emaciated and believed to have starved to death per DW.

The only shot I managed with all 3 Temminck's Stints in.


Swimming from one island to another









1 comment: