Thursday 12 January 2012

Out and About

In Orlestone Forest this morning a distant Tawny Owl was calling as I got out the car and things went downhill from then. After an hour and half's plod just a few Great and Blue Tits, the only finches were a few Chaffinches and fly over Siskin, a Nuthatch calling deep in the wood and a Great Spotted Woodpecker. It was time to cut my losses and try and find the Purple Sandpipers at Hythe that I have heard so much about. This time I was not disappointed as I could see them as I parked the car. These were the first I have seen since moving from Shoreham in West Sussex. On closer inspection there was 7 Purple Sandpipers on the rock groyne also 18 Turnstones that flew off when disturbed by a dog, fortunately the Sandpipers were very confiding taking no notice of the dog or me.     










Just lately the birds on the beach at Dungeness is like Ground Hog day and today was no different.
On New Diggings it looks like the shooters that were seen on Tuesday in the boats presumably paid for by DEFRA were very efficient. Nice to know our taxes are being used efficiently.
On the ARC the Drake Smew and 2 red Head Smew with the Long Tailed Duck.
On Walland Marsh a flock of 15 Corn Buntings at Hawthorn Corner my first this year also 4 Mistle Thrushes there. The Bewick Swan herd at Midley has risen to 45 including 5 juveniles, 20+ Tree Sparrows round the feeders and 50+ Fieldfare in the hedges. The Woolpack Harrier roost was very disappointing with a maximum 6 Marsh Harriers seen and only 1 adult male roosted also 2 Common Buzzards there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment